Tuesday, October 14, 2008

- EPM, Warm Weather, Lizards, Serpents & Pretty Rocks

Cunnamulla, Qld - Australia

Hello - sorry for the lapse. . . I've been busy . . .

Romance fans, gothic and otherwise . . . Paul proposed . . . she said yes (her answer was not a surprise). They are very cute together and seem to be in love. I'm very happy for them.

. . . and there's more for you romance fans, gothic, bodice ripper and otherwise . . . yours truly is very happy for himself as well. It appears cupid has been firing a few arrows. Yes, I am smitten, more later - she's an American in the USA, so I'm eager to get back home and . . . .

An EPM is an exploration permit for minerals . . . it's an official Dept of Mines bit of paperwork that gives its holder the sole rights for expoling for minerals (opals) and for pegging leases (registering new opal mines) in a particular area. A few days ago I drove up to Quilpie to the regional Dept of Mines office to lodge an EPM application. When it is granted I will have the rights to a very interesting feeling 4 square mile patch of outback a few kilometers north of my current mine. I'm very excited about it. . . think it has quite a bit of potential.

While driving to Quilpie I encountered a rather striking creature in the middle of the road. . . a king brown snake, about 5 or 6 feet long . . . I believe it's the 3rd most deadly snake slithering along the surface of the earth. My friend Len was with me in my 4wd as we approached the snake. I asked him what kind of snake it was, he said, "a f***ing deadly one!". After repeating that a few times, he said it was a king brown. He also told me that if it bit me he wouldn't even tell me to relax or bother with a bandage or tourniquet because I'd be dead well before we got to medical help and there'd be no sense in prolonging my agony as I was dying. Yes, I rolled down the window and took a few photos.

The warm weather (it hit 111 a feew days ago) has been waking up many formerly napping critters. I've seen more lizards and a wider variety of lizards than I've ever seen before. I was able to get a few pretty good photos and videos. On the way to town today I saw 2 goannas (a type of lizard) which were about 4 feet long.

Oh yes, there have been more opals . . . I've been very lucky in many ways this season.

Thanks to Kim for dinner and to Len for their hospitality and help.

Of course thanks to Dawn . . . for so much.

.

No comments: